Firm specializing in Commercial, Corporate and Company Law.
Our client is looking for an Associate Attorney to join their firm in Johannesburg.
Duties will include –
- Prepare and process correspondence, legal documents and papers, and court forms (including summons, pleadings, appeals, motions, briefs, pre-trial agreements, discovery documents and subpoenas).
- Perform client presentations.
- Perform legal research and examine national, international and local laws to identify any rules the clients must follow or conflicts that might arise.
- Collect information such as employment, medical, and other records for FICA processing and other purposes.
- Consult and correspond with Firm Principle, clients, colleagues, associates and other stakeholders.
- Analyse legal issue, situations and determine the probable outcomes of cases, using knowledge of legal precedents.
- Examine legal data to determine advisability.
- Advise clients concerning business transactions, liability, prosecuting or defending lawsuits, or legal rights and obligations.
- Prepare and provide commercial legal advice and services.
- Evaluate findings and develop strategies and arguments in preparation for presentation or summarization of cases.
- Guide clients and ensure compliance with rules and regulations.
- Conduct and manage dispute and litigation support.
- Edit and review documentation prepared by Candidate Attorneys.
- Represent clients in legal proceedings (administrative boards, court trials etc).
- Support the Principal Attorney in all corporate and other legal processes (e.g. intellectual property, mergers & acquisitions, financial/securities offerings, compliance issues, transactions, agreements, lawsuits, patents).
- Structure, review, edit, draft, and administer a wide range of legal documents, agreements, and reports, company/commercial paperwork, contracts/agreements, and business reports/documents.
- Support the Principal Attorney in negotiating and facilitating business deals from a legal perspective.
- Collaborate with other law firms, advocates, clients and/or government agencies.
- Research, anticipate and guard clients against legal risks.
- Ensure that the Candidate Attorneys appropriately FICA all clients.
- Develop internal and external company policies and procedures when the need arises.
- Schedule site inspections, court cases, hearings and attorney/client meetings.
- Keep records up to date and maintaining complex docket systems to track the myriad of legal filing deadlines; index and update pleadings and discovery binders.
- Manage calendars and organising diaries, interaction with both internal and external clients as well as consultants and co-ordinate, schedule and manage a variety of meetings.
- Communicate and handle incoming and outgoing electronic communications on behalf of the Principle Attorney.
- Organize and maintain law libraries, documents, and case files.
Business Development, Sales and Marketing:
- Attend internal business meetings when required.
- Assist with the revising of current, and development of new procedures, precedents and related ways of enhancing the provision of legal support.
- Contribute ideas, content and feedback to the business development, sales and marketing efforts of the firm.
- Provide input and/ or compile proposals.
- Assist the Principal Attorney with the mapping and plotting of all internal and external legal and business processes.
- Admitted with the right of appearance in the High Court
- Multi-jurisdictional qualification will be advantageous.
- Member of the Law Society of the Northern Provinces.
- Valid code B driver’s license and own transport.
- Minimum 2 – 3 years’ post admission experience focusing on commercial law.
- Ghost Practice legal and accounting software skills will be a bonus.
- Super user in MS Word
Salary / Package
Negotiable depending on experience