Specialist underwriting company.
Our client is looking for an Engineering Underwriter to join their team in Johannesburg.
Main purpose of the role:
- Underwriting of Africa engineering business
- Organising and conducting surveys of large/complex engineering risks for clients, including preparing internal and external reports (if required).
- Assessing individual risks, evaluating and providing terms and conditions in accordance with the applicable underwriting authority, underwriting guidelines and internal directives
- Ensuring that risk acceptance is aligned with company goals and company and group strategies.
- Developing and growing a sustainable book of business and exploiting new business potentials through active development of relationships with clients.
- Understanding Engineering insurance risks
- Comprehension of Engineering policy wordings
- Training of brokers and cedants on insurance products
- Accurate quotations and checking of slips and providing commensurate capacity
- Material preparation for training functions
- Conducting surveys of engineering risks for clients, including preparation of reports
- Extend our footprint as a recognised insurance partner by assessing, proposing and negotiating the insurance conditions for projects
- Work closely with the existing team in respect of clients and brokers
- Respond to new submissions quickly and effectively
- Engineering Degree or similar Engineering Qualification
- First Level Regulatory Examination: Representatives
- Valid passport (national and international travel required)
- Minimum of 7 years Engineering underwriting experience
- Minimum 5 years African business underwriting exposure
- Strong knowledge of the African Insurance market
- Computer Literacy: Microsoft Office
- Languages: English and French compulsory
- Strong analytical skills and high proficiency with common IT applications
Salary / Package
Highly negotiable depending on experience